Take Action to Close the Gender Pay Gap on Latinas’ Equal Pay Day
Thursday, November 2, marks Latinas’ Equal Pay Day, the symbolic day when Hispanic and Latina women’s earnings “catch up” to non-Hispanic white men’s earnings from the previous year. Latinas’ Equal Pay Day marks a powerful moment for national action. There are many things individuals, employers, and the government can do to help close the gender pay gap. Here are ways you can take action to close the gender pay gap in observance of Latinas’ Equal Pay Day.
Webinar Discussion with Winona LaDuke from the Front Lines in the Battle for Environmental Justice
Join AAUW and our ¡Adelante! Book of the Month Club in commemorating Native American Heritage Month as we talk with Winona LaDuke about her book The Winona LaDuke Chronicles: Stories from the Front Lines in the Battle for Environmental Justice.
12 Stats on Gender Equity That Are Scarier than Halloween
Halloween is the perfect time to tell ghost stories. But there’s nothing scarier than the true story of gender inequity in the United States. Forget ghouls, goblins, and graveyards — these statistics reflect a reality far scarier than whatever comes out to haunt on Halloween. But don’t get spooked! There’s lots you can do to support gender equity.
At the current rate of progress, gender gap won’t close until 2119.
Know Your Rights: Workplace Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Title VII is a federal law that prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, and religion, and it applies to employers with 15 or more employees, including federal, state, and local governments. Even with Title VII’s protections, many people across the country still face sexual harassment in their workplaces.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Gender Pay Gap
Simply put, the gender pay gap is the gap between what women are paid and what men are paid. The most commonly cited gender pay gap statistic in the United States compares the median annual earnings of women who work full time, year-round against the median annual earnings of men who work full time, year-round. There are as many ways to calculate gender pay gaps as there are ways to calculate average pay earned by workers, as long as the original data source records whether workers are men or women. Though the ratio of women’s pay to men’s pay varies depending on the data source and analysis, the finding that women are paid less than men is extremely consistent.
- Giving Tuesday
- Want to diversify your STEM workforce? Redirect the conversation about the status of women in technology with AAUW’s Best Practices Playbook: Gender Equity in Tech.
- Fight for fair pay. Join the AAUW Action Network now.
Tip of the Month: How to add an image gallery to your branch website?
Galleries give a professional layout for displaying an array of pictures.
For adding a gallery to your branch site, please follow the below steps:
- On the page you want to add a gallery, click on “Edit Page” after entering your WordPress credentials. You will be on the Word Press dashboard.
- Click on “Add Media” , a page with the title : “Insert Media” comes up.
- On the right hand side of the page, click on “Create Gallery” as shown in the attached picture and upload/select pictures.
- Click on “Create gallery” which is on the bottom right of the page. You will now be redirected to a page which looks like this:
- In the “Edit Gallery” page, you have the below options:
- Drag and drop to reorder media files: You can change the order of the pictures by dragging an image and dropping to the required position.
- Reverse order: You can reverse the order of the images.
- Caption this image: You can add captions to the image by entering information in the dialog box.
- In Gallery Settings, you can change:
- Number of images per row in the “Columns” section
- Size of the image : Thumbnail, Medium, Large or Full size
- Random Order: If you check this button, the images will be displayed in random order instead of the listed order.
- Add to Gallery: You can add more images to the gallery through “Add to Gallery” option.
- After making required changes, click on “Update Gallery”. You will be redirected back to the WordPress page. Publish the page.
- The gallery on the web page will be displayed as follows:
I set the gallery options such that it should display 2 images per row. For this, I changed “Columns” section of “Gallery Settings” to the value “2”.
Word Camp Conferences – 2017
Word Camps are informal, community-organized events that are put together by WordPress users . Everyone from casual users to core developers participate, share ideas, and get to know each other.
Click here to learn more about Word Camp.
Word Camp Schedule